I started out following his advice, which eventually led me to building a lab. I already had a Synology NAS that I store all my apps and media on, but I really wanted to put a server together and create a mock domain, complete with a DC, SQL, Exchange, client machines, and an IDS to see if I could detect my own attacks and learn to prevent them.
I came across Dark Operator’s blog and how he set up his lab, and now had an awesome template to mimic.
Check it out here http://www.darkoperator.com/blog/2014/1/10/my-new-home-lab-setup
My lab consists of the following hardware:
- Synology DS213j
- SHUTTLE PC Barebone System SZ87R6
- Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB Kit
- Intel Core i7-4790K Processor
- D-Link 8-Port EasySmart Gigabit Ethernet Switch
- Raspberry Pi
- SanDisk Ultra 32GB SDHC Class 10/UHS-1 Flash Memory Card
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER